Warm, savory, buttery mushrooms.
Tangy, salty fermented onions.
Sweet and sour grapefruit slices.
Salty feta cheese.
This is the perfect salad when you want something light and refreshing but that still feels like a whole meal.
The fermented onions add a tangy, salty kick to the salad, plus you get all the added benefits of probiotics. Check out this post to learn how to make your own, small batch fermented veggies! It's so simple and the recipe works with any veggie you want to use. I always keep a jar of fermented onions on hand for salads and sandwiches.
This dressing uses tangy strawberry vinegar. You can substitute this for any fruit vinegar you have on hand. Fig, pear, and raspberry are fairly easy flavors to find at most grocery stores.
The sweet flavor in this salad comes from the honey in the dressing. It's the perfect balance for the intensley savory flavors in the other ingredients.
We're not using olive oil in this dressing because we'll be adding the melted butter from the mushrooms which will be plenty delicious on it's own!
Sweet & Savory Mushroom Salad
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 4 Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Grapefruit
- 2 Tablespoons Fermented or pickled onions
- 2 Tablespoons Feta cheese
- 2 big cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Strawberry vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. In a small container add strawberry vinegar, salt, minced garlic, and honey. Set aside.
2. Chop mushrooms into pieces and saute in butter over low heat until tender and delicious. Allow 5-10 minutes depending on how much heat you use.
3. In the meantime, cut the grapefruit into slices. Watch this video on how to supreme a grapefruit to get those nice, pretty slices.
4. Chop fermented onions and feta cheese into desired sizes.
5. Put a lid on your vinaigrette container and shake it well to emulsify. Taste the dressing and add more honey, salt, or vinegar as needed. Spoon out large pieces of garlic (or leave them in if you've chopped them small enough).
6. Place lettuce in a large bowl. Pour dressing on top and mix. Pour sauteed mushrooms with butter over lettuce and mix. Add fermented onions and feta and mix.
7. Transfer salad to serving plates and dot with grapefruit segments.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Learn to make your own amazing salads using whatever ingredients you already have on hand!